This 5 week Course is All ABOUT BIRDS!
5 Thursdays: September 15 & 22, October 6, 20, 27
(no classes Sept. 29 & Oct. 13) + November 17, 2022 BONUS-Live Final Critique
Time: 9:30- 11:30 am EST
- All Levels- Beginners to Advanced are welcomed.
- Medium: In this workshop we will focus on using Graphite Watercolor, Watercolor Pencils & Colored Pencils . A list of supplies will be sent upon registration. Students may work in whichever medium(s) they prefer.
Cost- $198 Includes Reference Photos and internet resources are provided as handouts before each weeks lesson begins. Limited to 15 participants.
Class Content: This is a 5 Week, 2 hour workshop via Zoom ( A link will be sent 2 days prior to the start of the course and will be used throughout the entire 6 weeks.)
Week 1- Focus on Drawing, Measuring and Creating Eggs
- Learn about the different shapes sizes and history of collecting eggs
- Introduction to the scientific light source and armature drawing of the egg
- Accurately draw, measure, enlarge, and transfer a variety of eggs
- Create different patterns and color mixing: speckled, mottled etc.
- Create a full page of varying bird eggs in the medium of your choice. Experimentation is welcome!
Week 2- Drawing and Painting Feathers
- Discussion of the types of bird feathers and their uses in bird anatomy
- Demonstrations in color mixing to create patterns & iridescent colors in watercolor & colored pencil
- Create page of feathers to practice color mixing, brush work and form
Week 3- Bird Nests
- Discussion of the many types of bird nests
- Demonstration on how to untangle and successfully draw a nest
- Techniques for applying details in graphite, ink, and/or gouache to show depth and texture
Week 4- Bird Wings
- Discussion of wing anatomy and posturing
- Demonstrations in how to successfully render a bird wing
- Instruction on how much detail to include in a bird wing
- Techniques for applying color and patterns
Week 5- Putting it all Together!
- Quick Tips for sketching birds
- Researching and putting a bird into a composition
- Feet, bill wing positioning from working with multiple photos
- Layering techniques to create a final composition
Q & A Time is available during each week. An online critique will be provide at the beginning of each class to go over the lessons of the previous week.
- A supply list will be sent prior to the workshop with recommended options for working during the workshop.
- A follow up list of supplies and resources will be sent afterwards for further exploration.
- The Zoom workshop is recorded each week and a link will be sent to participants within 48 hours after each class. The recordings are available for 90 days after the course is over. A private link will be supplied to Youtube.
* Bird Reference materials: I will be supplying vendors, photos, and online resources for exploration to use during the class. Here is a handout for suggested art supplies and vendors for bird eggs, feathers etc. Click the blue links below:
Cancelation Policy: Due to the popularity and limited participants, refunds are not available. If for some reason you are unable to attend the Live Workshop you will receive all the information provided before, during and after the workshop + the Live Zoom Recording to view 24/7 for 90 days after the workshop.